Thurne Mill

Thurne MillThurne Mill was built in 1820 by the millwrights England & Co of Ludham, Norfolk.

Originally when the mill was built it would have had common canvas sails and a scoopwheel but in 1885 the mill was raised (hained) to accommodate the new turbine pump and the patent sails. These allowed the Marshmen a little more free time.


Bob Morse had a fascination with windmills since he was a young boy. In 1949 a boyhood dream became a reality when he purchased the then derelict Thurne Mill. In 18 months, with the help of Albert England, a direct descendant of England’s the tower was restored. The mill was then leased to the Norfolk Windmill Trust. Sadly Bob Morse passed away in January 2007. The current owner of Thurne Mill is Debra Nicholson.

Thurne Mill is open to the public most Sunday’s throughout August and Sept however, please call or email to confirm and request further details. Normal opening hours 11 – 4.

Below are some additional opening days for 2018
(Opening Times 11-3pm):

7th January
4th February
4th March
1st April
6th May
3rd June
1st July
5th August
2nd September


Entry Free of Charge – Donations Welcome

We’re crowdfunding the £6000 a year it takes to keep Thurne Mill white, turning and open. Find out more and donate to our crowdfunding campaign. Every pound matters!

Find Thurne Mill:

Repps with Bastwick | Norfolk The UK's premier wind heritage site dedicated to preserving the heritage of wind power past, present and future.

%d bloggers like this: